Saturday 2 August 2008

Finishes and Starts.

I feel I am having a good week, not only have I finished my Summer Fairy I have 2 more finishes to be proud of and 2 new starts to mention.
Firstly, last night I finished the piece of stitching for Julie's Birthday. Sadly I can't show this yet as I know she reads this blog and I don't want to spoil the surprise. All I can say is that I think it looks great, the magnifico beads and the Kreinik braid really set it off.
Secondly I finished an old UFO. It is a piece of Blackwork stitching and I have been working on it since 1994!! It is of Henry VIII (I have mentioned before of my love of the Tudors) and the chart was in a magazine. I intended to do Elizabeth I too as I have that chart but I don't think I will somehow. I love the Blackwork effect but I found it a bit boring to stitch. (Hence it being a UFO) It has been in my drawer nearly finished for a long time, Stuart mentioned this morning that I would never finish it....... so I proved him wrong and worked on it this afternoon. It didn't take much to finish, now I have to decide what to do with it.


Henry VIII Blackwork
New Stitches Magazine
Issue 6
Then as I had made a few finishes I just had to make a few new starts too! I started my Mom's piece on Friday so that counts as one. Today I fancied starting something for Christmas so I can make it into an ornament. I found a nice one on Blueribbon designs called "A Christmas wish of health and happiness". I am sewing it on 28ct cream material that was in the drawer and I'm using the DMC threads they suggest. I also have some red cord ready to put round it when I fix the ornament together. Here is my small progress so far!



I have also been doing a bit of Becky's Ballerina stitching as I hardly ever touch this. It is on blue fabric which normally I find tricky to stitch on but today I sat by the window in sunlight and found it much easier. I will post a picture of this another day.
Well back to my Mom's picture I think, as before I know it time will be running out and I don't want a mad rush at the end!!

Ginnie x

10 comments:

Jane said...

Agree with you about the blackwork, but it does look good. Very effective. Enjoy the weekend

Julie said...

Henry is super, he looks so regal. I like blackwork, but only now and again for a change.

Nice start on the Blue Ribbon, we did that as a SAL at Jaynes Attic forum recently

zetor said...

Nice work on Henry. The stitching is beautifully neat, my blackwork and backstitching is very poor. I see you like 'all things Tudor', have you read any books about that era, Jean Plaidy or Phillipa Gregory? I've read some of each author, find them a good read.

Unknown said...

Henry looks great. I've never tried black work, might give it a go after seeing how great yours looks.

Nice start on the blue robbin,can't wait to see it progress.

Petra said...

I love Henry the VIII that you stitched. Of late I've become obsessed with the Tudors and all his wives...beautiful job! Your WIP looks nice.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I can't wait to see all your Christmas things, funny I should do a post today about Christmas as well, Ginnie. Great minds must think alike.

Gill

stitcherw said...

Henry looks great, and your earlier Spring Fairy finish was lovely too. You certainly have been busy lately.
Sue

Jean said...

Henry looks great! That would make a great card for a fellow Tudor lover. I, too, have gotten the bug to make something Christmas and just finished a Christmas motif sampler. Drop by and take a look!

Erica said...

Hi Jayne.I nominated you for the Brillante Weblog award! I really enjoy reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

I love blackwork. It's beautiful, I would love to do the one of Henry and all his wives, but I reckon that would be a huge piece.