Thursday 23 July 2009

Mermaid

Hope everyone is having a good week. My working week has only been 4 days long as I have booked tomorrow off. Becky took her Grade 4 Modern dance exam on Wednesday and has her Grade 4 Ballet exam tomorrow, so I have just been sewing ballet ribbon onto her shoes........ which is a pain because in a couple of weeks they'll start learning "Show" dances and it'll be "ribbons off" again! She is a little nervous but I am sure she'll be fine, her dance teacher is very pleased with her progress. Then in the afternoon we are going to the cinema to see Harry Potter.
So here is my new start from last week. Firstly the picture from the magazine to see what it should look like eventually. I was drawn to the blue/greens and can imagine having it framed with a similar coloured frame so it'll go with my bathroom colour scheme. Not sure how I will get on with having it framed though, as what do you do about condensation in your bathroom? I don't want it to spoil the stitching.
And this is the progress made during the first week. It is sewn on just plain old 14ct white aida. You can see the 3 little sea horses already complete with back stitch. I have loved working on this and am looking forward to picking it up again.

This week I have picked up my Family Tree again and wound it down to work on the bottom again for a change. I spent Monday on that then spent Tuesday on my Tigger/Piglet piece for my SAL. Last night I went out with my Crafty Hands group for a nice meal (we always have a Summer and Christmas meal out) It was very nice but I was late back and got no stitching done! So I think I'll get back to the Family Tree in a moment although I am tired and have a headache tonight.

Ginnie x

16 comments:

Jane said...

Wow, you managed to get a lot done last week, looks great. Good luck with all the dancing

Carla said...

Great start!! It's a lovely design!

Maggie said...

Great start on your mermaid, not sure about stitcing in the bathroom either, but if your girls are anything like mine the bathroom resembles a sauna when they have finished in the shower, lol.
Good luck to your daughter for tomorrow and enjoy Harry Potter, me and the girls went to see it last night, i still prefer the books!
Enjoy your extended weekend off work, hope the weather picks up a bit eh?

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Lots accomplished already, looks great. CJ ok;-)

Tammy said...

We saw HP today and I loved it-loved it!!! Your mermaid is coming along quickly and she is so pretty!

Gill - That British Woman said...

that's going to be a really pretty picture when its done.

Gill in Canada

Annette said...

Wow what a lovely design!
I love it...

Cindy F. said...

Beautiful progress Ginnie! Not sure about the bathroom thing either, but I read on one designer's blog she hangs hers in the bathroom and trusts the dmc totally! It may depend on how close to the shower it is????
Good luck to your daughters! and enjoy HP! We saw it last week....good, but dark.

Julie said...

Your mermaid is lovely, such nice colours no wonder you love working on it.

Good Luck with the dance exams Becky.

TammyK said...

Lots accomplished in a week - looking good. I have a framed stitched piece in one of my bathrooms & it has held up great. Of course, I do run my exhaust fan if there's much steam.

Unknown said...

I LOVE mermaids! And I saw Harry Potter Friday night, I enjoyed it...

Barb said...

Great progress on it. It'll be stunning when done.

stitcherw said...

Beautiful new start, and you got quite a bit done. Hope your headache didn't stay around to long.
Sue

Ginny said...

Just happened on your blog. Your mermaid is looking great! I have 2 framings in my bathroom. One is a Merman holding a Merbaby, the other is a Mermaid and her Merman. They have been hanging there for 7 or 8 years now and no problems! I have a small bathroom with no exhaust fan and they are still perfect! I love mermaids but haven't seen the one you are doing. Love it.

Candy said...

Which magazine did this pattern come from? I love this pattern!!

Sarah said...

Hi, I just found your blog after searching online for mermaid cross stitch patterns. I'm wondering if you can tell me which magazine this one came from so I can see if I can get a back copy. Thanks :)