Sunday 1 February 2009

Look what I've been making!!

What a productive weekend I have had....... I have been busy making "finishes", 2 of which were new techniques to me! And even if I say so myself I am very proud of my accomplishments, 12 months ago I would never have thought of finishing off my stitching in these different ways, but thanks to my fellow bloggers I am learning loads!!
Firstly I went to mom and dad's yesterday afternoon and used the sewing machine to "finish" Pirate's Creed. I decided to mount the piece of stitching onto one square of the fabric and sew it down with red running stitch. I then sewed both squares of fabric together and included a lovely red fringe at the bottom I had bought last week! This wasn't without a hitch.... I had to unpick the fringe when I realised I was stitching it on the inside!! I then added some red ribbon as a hanger..... and here is the finished item -Becky was thrilled with it she said "Oh I love it!!!" and hung it on her wardrobe door knob straight away.
Secondly today I have tried a new technique for me - a wall hanging - in fact a non sew wall hanging found on "Focus on Finishing" blog. I used my Lizzie Kate stitching that I made last year and some dark purple fabric (sorry the photo makes it look navy or black). It is a non sew one as you use that "hemming" stuff that just sticks fabric together when you iron. It isn't the best finish ever, the fabric wasn't as square as it could have been and the one top flap over laps the edge, I also could have done with a bit more purple cording....... but we all learn from our first attempts and I am still very pleased with it. I have hung it at the top of my stairs, sorry the photo does seem a little blurred too.... I think it was the excitement of just finishing it!!

Lastly I have made my pretty patterned piece of stitching into a biscornu.... my first ever!! I found a link to some online instructions but now I can't remember which site it was!!! Again it isn't perfect but I loved making it and want to do some more!!!



Other than all of that I have continued with some of my rota...... and I have made up several cards (Aly's birthday one and the Easter Bunnies) I will show my rota progress on my next post.

I have also got an order for some of my cross stitched cards! Last year a lady in San Diego bought some cards off me from Ebay and asked if she could order a couple more.... which I did. She has just bought my February sampler card and ordered 8 more different months...... She must really like my stuff! So I have started a March one.... luckily she is in no hurry so I can continue with all my other stitching too!!

Next week it is back to Family Tree and I also want to try to finish Johnny Depp..... I have some of the pirate fabric left over to use on this too.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Ginnie x

25 comments:

Julie said...

Congrats to you Ginnie, what super finishes and on the selling of the cards too.

Danielle said...

Love the beatings pillow. I always loved that design. Great finishing job!

zetor said...

Lovely work.

Cindy F. said...

Wow girl!! Congrats on 3 beautiful finishes! You did a beautiful job on them:)

Daffycat said...

Holy smokes! These are wonderful! The Pirate's Creed turned out perfect! You definitely deserve your own sewing machine now.

The Wall hanging looks great as does the bright and pretty biscornu. Super news about your ebay selling!

Jane said...

Reading blogs has given me different ideas for finishing too and I'm glad I'm not the only one that puts the hangers or lace on the inside! All these pieces look wonderful

stitchersanon said...

I think they are all lovely. Well done. Everything I have blogged had been new..I think other bloggers are a bad influence lol...raising our finishing potential above our station..no, kidding..
Keep trying that new stuff..I need to come to someone for help lol

stitcherw said...

Wonderful finishes, they both look great. Pirates Creed is awesome, my DD would steal that in a heartbeat. I may need to do that one for her. :)
Sue

Clare-Aimetu said...

Great finsihes Ginnie - well done

Sarah said...

Love Pirate's Creed, it looks great!

Donna said...

I love the Pirates Creed. It is so perfect with that fabric! And the other finishes are great also. You have done wonderful with them being the "firsts".

Irene said...

Wonderful finishes on all of them !

TammyK said...

You've been busy. I like your Pirate's Creed idea for a finish :-)

Angela said...

Congrats on all your fantastic finishes :) I especially love the Pirate pillow hanger, a fantastic idea!

Rowyn said...

You are becoming the finishing Queen! :-) I especially love your pirate finish.

loulee said...

Wow, well done. It's great having so much inspiration and guidance at your fingertips isn't it.

Unknown said...

Big, big congrat's to you on the finishing of these pieces! What a super fantastic job you did with each of them. I'm so proud of you. :-)

Good new's on the cards too. Very awesome.

Have a wonderful week. And, happy stitching!

The Button Witch said...

Great finishes Hun
Well done

Annie said...

Isn't it a great feeling to finish things in new techniques. Everything looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

Lovely finishes. Wonderful news about your ebay success.

Hazel said...

Great finishes Ginnie! Well done. x

Ranae said...

Congrats!
on all the awesome beautiful pieces.
I always just framed my pieces too, until I started blogging, there are some neat things out there to make.

Tammy said...

Ginnie, they look fantastic! Congrats to you for trying new things!

Chris said...

Hi Ginnie,

Blog hopped to you from Julie's and what a lot of lovely stitching, I love the tote bag with the red fringe.
I see you live in W Midlands so do I! Are you near enough to go to Clares stitching day in March I wondered?
Chris

Sharon said...

Fabulous finishing!